Founders Day Award Criteria
RICHARD R. WRIGHT AWARD OF EXCELLENCE
Purpose: To honor corporate and community citizens, alumni and outstanding leaders who have distinguished themselves through their expertise in social, educational and civic arenas.
• Any individual or organization that has worked constructively to change the community in a positive manner.
• The recipient has used innovative approaches in opening new avenues of awareness for the individual and society as a whole.
• The recipient has utilized scholarly means that address the needs of the public and has attempted to improve the human condition.
• The recipient of this award is an eclectic thinker who is able to succeed without selfishness.
CYRUS G. WILEY DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI AWARD
Purpose: To recognize outstanding alumni who are exemplary examples of the lofty ideals espoused by the university and demonstrate extraordinary support and loyalty to Savannah State University. The award also extols the achievements and contributions such distinguished alumni have made nationally, regionally and locally.
• A graduate or former student who has a strong commitment to providing continuous support to the university and possesses integrity and character.
• The recipient motivates others to give moral and financial support.
• The honoree is involved in community affairs and efforts designed to elevate mankind through professional achievement.
• Current members of the Savannah State University National Alumni Association Executive Board of Directors, current faculty or current staff members are not eligible.
• Current members of the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia are not eligible.
• Candidates should not be a contender for an elective public office. An individual who currently holds an elected public office will not be selected in a year in which he or she might be elected or re-elected.
• Nominations may be made by any member of the Savannah State University National Alumni Association, faculty or staff; or by any friend or former student of Savannah State University.
• An individual can only receive the award one time.
• An individual can be nominated for the award regardless of how many times he or she has been nominated in the past.