Office of Equity and Diversity
Scholarship Opportunities for Diverse Students
There are a number of scholarships available for students from African American, Latino, Native American, Asian and Pacific Islander and military backgrounds.
Here are just a few tips to assist students in this process:
- Check deadlines?Be sure to submit on time!
- Do not overlook the small scholarships (ie: $200, $500, etc)--- All the little ones add up to big ones!
- Look for scholarships based on club/extra-curricular, church and/or community affiliation. (ie: 4H club,etc)
- Write one good essay and adapt it for several uses (be sure to check to make sure you are answering the specific question if asked)
- Do not underestimate your opportunities for funding?look for as many as possible. (There are some scholarships that may cover books, computer, etc)
- Plan ahead?keep a checklist of what needs to be done when and prioritize.
- Print extra copies or make photocopies of every application you send.
- Meet with your counselor to verify all necessary forms are in order and sent out.
- Identify and ask teachers/counselors/community members to write letters of recommendation on your behalf .
- AGAIN, SUBMIT INFORMATION IN A TIMELY FASHION!
Gates Millennium Scholarship: http://www.gmsp.org/publicweb/Scholarships.aspx
Military Members and their Families: http://cs.mhf.dod.mil/content/dav/mhf/QOL-Library/MHF/252863.html