GEAR UP Program
Gaining Early Awareness And Readiness
For Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP)
- The GEAR UP program is designed to increase the number of students who are prepared to enter and succeed in postsecondary education.
- GEAR UP grantees serve an entire cohort of students beginning no later than the seventh grade and follow the cohort through their first year of college.
- GEAR UP is unique from other initiatives. This program has partners committed to serving and accelerating the academic achievement of cohorts of students through their first year of college.
- GEAR UP partnerships supplement (not supplant) existing reform efforts, offer services that promote academic preparation and the understanding of necessary costs to attend college, provide professional development, and continuously build capacity so that projects can be sustained beyond the term of the grant.
- Coordinated Educational Services
- Structured Mentoring Programs
- Early Exposure to College Preparation
- College Preparation Workshops
- Financial Aid Seminars
- Parent Conferences & College Visits
- Professional Development for Teachers
- School Improvement Resources
- Tutor/Mentors for Classrooms
The mission of the GEAR UP Program is to ensure middle school students are academically prepared for and motivated to pursue and succeed in obtaining a postsecondary education.